Gone are the days when only women were victims to NRI marriage frauds. Many potential brides who aspire to settle abroad have been using the legal extortion method by trapping men to spend lakhs on their education after marriage, only to dump them later.
As per a detailed report by Hindustan Times, young Punjabi grooms are ending up being cheated and abandoned by their wives on whom they spent lakhs of rupees to send abroad on study visa, in the hope of getting a spouse visa later.
Around 30 such men have now approached an NGO named Abbnhi Welfare Society in the district, and also the police, to seek help in suspending passports of their wives. Some of them have managed to get FIRs registered against them.
The men were made to sponsor expensive education of their wives, who had scored the required band on The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and also who had the profile to match their desired country’s specification. These men, or their families, also paid a hefty fee on procuring a study visa for the women. However, these men were left waiting endlessly for a spouse visa once the wives settle abroad. The wives never contacted them since leaving and in some cases the communication had completely ended for over a couple of years.
Satwinder Kaur, who runs the NGO, to HT usually women approached them as victims and just a week ago, they have started helping grooms. She added,
These grooms had spent between Rs 17 lakh and Rs 35 lakh on study, visa filing process and other expenditure for their wives. They have lost the money and the visa is unlikely.
Harwinder Singh, 21, of Ferozepur, said,
I got married to a Ludhiana-based girl on January 15, 2018. I had spent at least Rs 35 lakh on her admission in Canada and other expenditure. Later, she started fighting and arguing with me on minor issues. In July 2019, I heard that my wife is staying with another person in a live-in relationship in Brampton. I lodged a complaint against her and a case of cheating was registered at the Ghall Khurad police station on February 3, 2020.
Ghall Khurd police station SHO Judgepal Singu said,
The victim’s wife is living in Canada and we cannot take action against her here. But we have filed a chargesheet against her in the local court.
Jaswinder Singh, 27, of Barnala, said in his complaint,
When I did not find any government job here, despite being masters in political science and holding a B.Pharmacy degree, I decided to go to Canada. I married a Moga-based girl with 6.5 band in IELTS in 2019. I spent Rs 18 lakh on sending her to Canada on a study visa. After reaching Montreal, she stopped contacting me. I have lodged a complaint against her with the district police.
Jaswinder said even before approaching the NGO, he met other victims so as to bring them on common platform to get justice.
Kripa Shankar Saroj, additional chief secretary, NRI affairs, said,
In most incidents, women get cheated by their NRI husbands. There is no specific policy for grooms who have been cheated by their wives. All such grooms who have been cheated can contact the department or me. We will help them.
- No spouse should be taken for a ride either by resident or NRI partner
- While Government of India has most stringent laws in place for grooms who abandon Indian wives abroad or in the country, men barely have any recourse to take action against wives who legally extort money from them and end ties
- In most cases, local police is unable to take any action on these con women after they have fled the country and in few cases, end up registering a mere FIR in such matters
- There is zero fear amongst such brides as they do not worry about their passports getting revoked, like in the case of reverse for Men
- Often, we have also come across planned legal mechanism, where women take lakhs of rupees from husbands, settle abroad on study visa and later file false 498A or false domestic violence cases back on Men in India, so that these husbands are left with no choice but to face decades of legal harassment in the country
- Matrimonial laws in India are extremely Gender Biased and as a society too, we tend to overlook atrocities on Men, unless one of our own goes through the grind
ALSO READ –
Join our Facebook Group or follow us on social media by clicking on the icons below
Blogging about Equal Rights for Men or writing about Gender Biased Laws is often looked upon as controversial, as many 'perceive' it Anti-Women. Due to this grey area - where we demand Equality in the true sense for all genders - most brands distance themselves from advertising on a portal like ours.
We, therefore, look forward to your support as donors who understand our work and are willing to partner in this endeavour to spread this cause. Do support our work to counter one sided gender biased narratives in the media.
To make an instant donation, click on the "Donate Now" button above. For information regarding donation via Bank Transfer, click here.