Divorce is always painful, especially when you have to part ways with your spouse after living together for more than a decade. However, what could be a ray of hope for many husbands in the US, a judge in North Carolina awarded the husband with a sum unheard of!
- Kevin Howard’s wife was unhappy with her 12-year-old marriage, because she was of the opinion that he was a workaholic and couldn’t give her enough time
- She had originally told Kevin that she wanted a divorce because he worked too much and wasn’t around to be there with her
- However, a private detective intervened and found out that Kevin’s wife was involved in an affair with a colleague in her office
- Apparently, Kevin had also met him before when he came to their house and ate dinner with them
- Kevin had also shared stories and discussed personal lives with his wife’s lover
- However, after discovering the truth, Kevin filed a lawsuit before a judge in Greenville under the “alienation of affection” law
- The judge proclaimed that his wife’s co-worker was indeed responsible for the failure of Kevin’s marriage and awarded him with $750,000 or Rs 5, 32,55,250 to be precise
While speaking to the media, Kevin said,
I filed the case because I feel that it’s very important that people understand that the sanctity of marriage is important, especially in this day and age when people question everyone’s morals, people questions everyone’s liability.
- The law dates back to the 1800s and is only applicable in five other US states – Hawaii, Mississippi, New Mexico, South Dakota and Utah
- This law allows one member of a couple to sue another person whom they believe to be the cause of the breakup of their marriage due to wrongful or malicious acts
- As reported by local media, more than 200 suits based on the “alienation of affection” law are filed every year in North Carolina
AND THEN, THIS IS IN INDIA –