We have heard weddings been called off by women’s family if the groom and his side put forth endless demands. Surely, we too do not support the regressive practice of dowry. However, in a recent case reported in Uttar Pradesh’s Auraiya, a wedding was called off at the last moment after the groom could not read the newspaper without his glasses on. Yes you definitely read that right!
Here’s What Happened
The incident came to light from Auraiya district after Arjun Singh, a resident of Jamalpur village of Sadar Kotwali area, had fixed the marriage of his daughter, Archana, with Shivam, a resident of Banshi village.
Woman’s father chose Shivam as he was a “well-educated boy” and soon fixed the date of marriage, and began all preparations. The traditional ceremony of ‘Shagun’ was also performed before the wedding, by gifting the groom a motorcycle, reported News 18.
However, things suddenly changed on the day of wedding. Speaking to media, woman’s father quoted:
When the Baraat procession came to the house on June 20, the groom was constantly seen wearing spectacles the whole time.
The women of the family, including the bride felt suspicious guessing his weak eyesight and then asked the groom Shivam to read a Hindi newspaper without his glasses on, which he failed to do. The groom could not see without his glasses, and on learning this, the bride refused to marry him. The bride’s family too unanimously agreed to call off the wedding.
Bride’s Family Registers Police Case
A police case was also registered by the bride’s family against the groom and his relatives. Allegedly, while the groom was not illiterate, he could not read the newspaper because his eyesight was weak. The bride was not okay with marrying someone who had such poor eyesight.
The bride’s family also demanded the return of the cash and motorcycle given as dowry to the groom and the return of all expenses that was spent in the marriage. When the boy’s side refused, an FIR was lodged at a police station in Auraiya Kotwali.
- Women today want equality, however, when it comes to marriage, fathers always want a well qualified and better earning daamaad (son-in-law)
- There is nothing wrong in expecting a good lifestyle with your partner, however, calling off a marriage due to groom’s poor eyesight speaks volumes of commitment in the marriage from the woman’s side
- It was not a case where the groom cheated the bride or gave false assurances either
- One must note how bride’s family willingly ‘gifted’ cash and motorcycle to the man when things were fine, but turned around and called it dowry the minute things failed
- Parents of brides must be held equally responsible, however, sadly one always sees them as ‘victims’
- Society will hail this as woman empowerment; although if a man would have decided to walk off in a similar situation, he would have been charged with several sections of the women centric laws
ALSO READ –
Dragged To Dance Floor Bride Refuses To Marry | Settles Matter With Rs 6.5 Lakh Alleging Dowry Harassment
Join our Facebook Group or follow us on social media by clicking on the icons below
Blogging about Equal Rights for Men or writing about Gender Biased Laws is often looked upon as controversial, as many 'perceive' it Anti-Women. Due to this grey area - where we demand Equality in the true sense for all genders - most brands distance themselves from advertising on a portal like ours.
We, therefore, look forward to your support as donors who understand our work and are willing to partner in this endeavour to spread this cause. Do support our work to counter one sided gender biased narratives in the media.
To make an instant donation, click on the "Donate Now" button above. For information regarding donation via Bank Transfer, click here.