A 25-year-old man who had embraced Christianity, has alleged that his girlfriend’s family made him convert to Islam, undergo circumcision and changed dietary habits. However, later his marriage proposal was turned down by the girl’s father.
A resident of the Vikarabad district of Telangana, has now approached the State Human Rights Commission complaining about the girl’s family.
- Bobbilli Bhaskar and Nikhath Sultana knew each other for the last 11 years
- When the girl turned major, Bhaskar approached her father for marriage
- The girl’s father accepted the relationship on the condition that Bhaskar would convert to Islam
- The boy willingly went on to obtain a religious conversion certificate from a local Muslim organisation and then underwent the circumcision
- The conversion certificate, dated June 10, 2019, was issued by one ‘Muslim Welfare Association Tandur’ (Tandur is an area in Vikarabad)
- The same mentions Bhaskar’s new Islamic name as Mohammed Abdul Hunain
- However, when Bhaskar approached the girl’s family for the wedding after his conversion and fulfilling all the pre-set conditions, they behaved with him as if he was a stranger to them
- In a letter to the State Human Rights Commission dated January 18, 2020, Bhaskar has appealed to question the girl in his presence, and direct the police to lodge a first information report (FIR) against her family
- Bhaskar had also approached some elders in the Muslim community for intervention
- However, when they asked the two parties to meet them together for an amicable solution, the girl’s parents did not turn up
- Three men from her family also thrashed him in a public park
- The letter says that the station house officer (SHO) of Vikarabad police station isn’t taking any action against his girlfriend, her father Saleemuddin, and three men who beat him up, namely Asif, Siraj and Lateef
Speaking to Swarajya, Bhaskar divulged that the circumcision was carried out by a Muslim surgeon in a Vikarabad-based hospital. He also said that he regretted the decision as it has left him in perpetual pain and trauma. He quoted,
ALSO READ –
It was traumatising. It still hurts. I would have never taken this step had this not been a precondition set by the girl’s family.
The atrocities, however, did not stop at this. The girl’s family further demanded that Bhaskar, who was a strict vegetarian should now become a regular meat-eater. In hope to get married to his lover, Bhaskar, from a Church-goer, readily became a five-time namaazi. Bhaskar was so committed to win over his girlfriend’s family that he would even shoot videos of him reciting Islamic prayers and send them to her family.
ALSO READ –
Though Bhaskar gave ample proof that he had been religiously observing the Muslim way of life, he could not convince the girl’s father for getting the two married.
Left with no other option, Bhaskar has now approached the State Human Rights Commission.
- At the outset, we have not covered the story from any religious angle, but to demonstrate the atrocities a man too can undergo before, and in other cases after marriage
- One can well say, that it was purely Bhaskar’s personal choice to undergo the trauma, however, that is similar to the endless dowry demands met by the girl’s family before marriage
- Because the victim in this case is a man, the police too has allegedly not taken any prompt action on the accused and her family
- If the same would be reverse, the girl’s family would have instantly implicated the man in “rape on pretext of marriage” charges
ALSO READ –
- Imagine if a man and his family would have physically traumatised a girl and dumped her like this before marriage
- In cases where women are the victims, they still have women’s cell or commission where they can go and demand justice
- However, in this case, the man has been left with no option but to approach State Human Rights Commission for a fair hearing
- Whether he will get any justice, is something only time will tell