During court proceedings in Madhya Pradesh on Tuesday, a 33-year-old man slit his throat in front of a judge, moments after he was convicted of rape and sentenced to 10 years in jail.
- The rape convict has been identified as Omkar Mehra, a resident of Bina in Sagar district of Madhya Pradesh
- Mehra worked at the Bina oil refinery and, had befriended a student who lived in the civil lines area of Chattarpur around three years ago through Facebook
- In 2016, the girl registered a rape case against Mehra at the Civil Lines police station following which he was arrested and later released on bail
- However, yesterday the court of additional sessions judge, Norin Nigam, held him guilty of rape and sentenced him to 10-years in jail
- The moment the judge pronounced his judgment, the accused pulled out a knife from his pants and stabbed himself thrice.
- Omkar made three attempts to slit his throat with a sharp-edged weapon that he was carrying with him
- He was shifted to a hospital and is said to be in a critical condition
Additional Superintendent of Police (SP) Chhattarpur said that the accused had managed to carry a knife inside the courtroom because he was out on bail and had directly come to the court.
Ramprasad Ahirwar, father of the accused said that his son is innocent while claiming that none of the neighbours of the girl had testified against him.
In another story in early September, a 24-year-old man accused of kidnapping and raping a girl allegedly committed suicide in custody in Chhattarpur district of Madhya Pradesh, prompting authorities to suspend two policemen. The accused, Virendra Lodhi, hanged himself with a towel in the bathroom of a medical centre where he was taken for an examination.
The constables were suspended for showing negligence while on duty.
ALSO READ –