Family and Consumer Science teacher has been accused of having an “improper relationship” with a student in the state of Texas, USA. Read Details Below.
- The school officials at Round Rock High School informed the parents via a letter dated November 18, about the female teacher reportedly having an “improper relationship” with their 16-year-old boy child
- Once notified, the teacher Randi Chaverria, 36, who had elected to take leave before administration received the report, was immediately reported to the District’s Human Resources Department and law enforcement and not permitted to return to campus
- According to Principal Matt Groff, Chaverria resigned from her teaching position with Round Rock ISD on November 19, the day after the accusations surfaced
- Authorities said text messages sent between the two individuals backed up the student’s claims regarding the nature of their relationship
- Round Rock Police said they spoke with the student who explained that during the fall semester “on several occasions” Chaverria called him and had sexual contact with him, including performing oral sex
- This student told police that the two had oral sex twice in Chaverria’s classroom
- On Tuesday, Chaverria turned herself in at the Williamson County Jail and was charged with improper relationship between educator and student, which is a second-degree felony
- However, records show the former teacher was released that afternoon once she posted bond
- Prior to her hiring, Chaverria had passed a Texas Department of Public Safety background check and several employment reference checks
- In May, the former Family and Consumer Science teacher was also named the district’s 2019 Secondary Teacher of the Year
Safety is the top priority of Round Rock High School and Round Rock ISD.
Ensuring a safe and secure learning environment requires partnership between students, parents, campus and district staff, as well as law enforcement.
Recent data from the Texas Education Agency (TEA) showed a rise in inappropriate relationships between teachers and students. The report stated,
One explanation for the recent spike in relationships could be because of the ‘Pass the Trash’ state law passed in 2017, which strengthened requirements for principals and superintendents to report inappropriate relationships.
Teachers are considered to be second mothers at school. As parents, we can be worried about our children not being safe at public places while they are alone during the day. However, if such incidents get reported from educational institutions, where we send our kids with a sense of security, it is truly a serious situation how not just girl child, but how a boy child too can be exploited.
And if this case was reported in India, the name and identity of the woman would have been hidden. Perhaps she would have also been allowed to file counter rape charges on the minor boy himself.
ALSO READ –
Join our Facebook Group or follow us on social media by clicking on the icons below
Blogging about Equal Rights for Men or writing about Gender Biased Laws is often looked upon as controversial, as many 'perceive' it Anti-Women. Due to this grey area - where we demand Equality in the true sense for all genders - most brands distance themselves from advertising on a portal like ours.
We, therefore, look forward to your support as donors who understand our work and are willing to partner in this endeavour to spread this cause. Do support our work to counter one sided gender biased narratives in the media.
To make an instant donation, click on the "Donate Now" button above. For information regarding donation via Bank Transfer, click here.