The Pune Zilla Parishad (district local body) has come up with their one sided biased idea to prevent and curb domestic violence (only on women) during the lockdown period. Zilla Parishad CEO Aayush Prasad has formed village-level committees to counsel male members of families where such incidents are reported.
If a woman complaints about ill-treat after counseling the couple, the husband would be put in ‘Institutional Quarantine’ as punishment. Prasad has warned husbands saying,
If there is a dispute between the husband and wife during the lockdown, counseling will be done initially. If the dispute does not stop, then the husband will be quarantined.
ALSO READ –
Adding further, Prasad quotes,
We have formed committees at village level, comprising members of local vigilance committees, Anganwadi sevika (women employees of government-run child care centres), women members of Gram Panchayat and members of women self-help group to counsel the families where domestic violence is reported.
According to the local district body, there wasn’t any significant rise in such cases in the district yet, however, this step was decided as a preventive measure in view of global trend of rise in domestic violence during the ongoing lockdown to contain the coronavius pandemic.
Whenever there is a complaint of woman facing violence or ill-treatment in other forms at the hands of husband or other relatives, the committee will approach the family and counsel the husband.
In case the man does not show any improvement in behaviour and continues to harass the woman, he will be put in institutional quarantine. Assistance will also be taken from local police during this process.
ALSO READ –
The committee cites example of how France has opened up hotels to separate couples undergoing domestic abuse. Prasad insists that it is only the husband who will have to move out of his home and under no circumstances the wife will be made to leave her residence.
Click here to watch Pune Zilla Parishad CEO’s interview. The medium of communication is in Marathi.
- By Mr Prasad’s logic, it is always the husband/man who is committing domestic abuse on his spouse – the woman
- The basic premise of evaluating the problem is a ‘complaint’ or word of the woman
- The committee assumes that whatever the wife alleges will be taken as gospel truth
- No where they state how they will also hear the husband’s side of the story and if he is found innocent, there will be action on the woman
- We are not denying or overlooking the fact that there is domestic abuse on women, however, the same cannot be one sided traffic as #MenToo equally undergo various forms of harassment
- Many cases demonstrate how it is the woman who is unable to adjust with her husband who she is not used to seeing daily at home and how she rebels with tantrums one after the other
- In such a scenario, all she needs to do is make a complaint and ensure that the man is out of her sight and his own residence
- Everyone is talking about how domestic violence on women has increased globally amidst lockdown, but no one is questioning that there exists no forum where a man can report domestic abuse and thus, those numbers never get tracked
ALSO READ –
We are now on Telegram. Follow Us For More Updates