A court in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, has ordered a staff nurse to pay a compensation of Rs 10,000 to a 31-year-old doctor. The nurse had lodged a false case of molestation in December 2019 against the doctor.
Dr Ashok Chaudhary, in-charge superintendent of the Community Health Centre (CHC) in Suigam in Gujarat’s Banaskantha district, was booked for molestation after the staff nurse, on December 12, 2019, alleged that he put his hands on her shoulders, and abused and threatened her.
As reported by Times Now, the court, after the trial, the concluded that molestation allegation levelled by the nurse was false. She let her relatives sleep in rooms of the CHC and when Chaudhary discovered it, he reprimanded her. Hence, she decided to teach him a lesson by filing a false molestation case against him.
Court on Misuse of Law
The court observed,
It appears that the complainant has misused the law for protection of women and it is necessary to stop such people from misusing the law.
The court ordered the nurse to pay a compensation of Rs 10,000 to the senior doctor for inflicting “mental, physical and social harassment” on him by filing the fake case. The court also noted that if she fails to pay the compensation amount to the doctor within a month, she’ll be imprisoned for 30 days.
Furthermore, the court, during the trial, also found that the nurse was discouraging patients from getting treatment at the state-run facility and redirecting them to private facilities. Noting that her actions were “dangerous for social health”, the court directed the health commissioner to conduct an inquiry and take appropriate action against the nurse.
- A financial penalty of Rs 10,000 may prick the false accuser nurse for sometime, however, will that really be a deterrent for her not to misuse women centric laws again?
- Why can’t the courts order similar conviction to such women, who dare to raise doubt on every other genuine victim?
- Besides, who will pay for the dignity lost for male doctor?
- Who will compensate state for the time spent by police in such a frivolous case?
- When name of the man can be made public even before any charges proven, why can’t court permit names of such false accuser women to be revealed as well?