Until now women were hacking and snooping on estranged husband’s accounts on earth, but this would be the first such case reported from outer space. And hold on, this is a battle between two women spouses who are in the process of a divorce and battling over custody of a 6-year-old son.
US space agency NASA is investigating Astronaut Anne McClain who is accused of identity theft and improperly accessing her estranged wife’s private financial records while on a sixth-month mission aboard the International Space Station (ISS).
- The astronaut’s spouse Summer Worden, is a former Air Force intelligence officer living in Kansas, USA
- The women got married in 2014
- The two women who are battling over custody of the son, was conceived by Worden through in vitro fertilization and carried by a surrogate
- The child was a year old when Worden met McClain
- After about three years, they began having difficulties
- In 2018, McClain asked a judge to grant her shared parenting rights of the child, claiming that she had been there for his first steps and first words and that they had a very healthy and deep parental relationship
- The court battle between the women has included an allegation that Worden assaulted McClain, an accusation that was eventually dropped
- However, Worden says the two have never had a physical altercation
- Earlier this year McClain allegedly accessed Worden’s bank account while the astronaut was at the space station
- Worden filed a complaint this year with the Federal Trade Commission after learning McClain had accessed her bank account without permission
- Worden’s family too has filed another complaint with NASA’s Office of Inspector General regarding the same
Worden expressed her anguish and said,
I was shocked and appalled at the audacity by her to think that she could get away with that, and I was very disheartened that I couldn’t keep anything private.
McClain’s lawyer said the astronaut had done nothing wrong and accessed the bank records while aboard the ISS in order to monitor the couple’s combined finances, something she had done over the course of their relationship
McClain, who returned to Earth in June, gained fame for being one of two women picked for a historic all-female spacewalk, but NASA scrapped the planned walk in March due to a lack of well-fitting spacesuits, sparking accusations of sexism. Anne responded to the accusations of stealing the identity of her estranged wife on Twitter saying,
There’s unequivocally no truth to these claims. We’ve been going through a painful, personal separation that’s now unfortunately in the media.
There’s unequivocally no truth to these claims. We’ve been going through a painful, personal separation that’s now unfortunately in the media. I appreciate the outpouring of support and will reserve comment until after the investigation. I have total confidence in the IG process.
— Anne McClain (@AstroAnnimal) August 24, 2019
NASA investigators have contacted both women to question them further in the matter.
ALSO READ –
Join our Facebook Group or follow us on social media by clicking on the icons below
Blogging about Equal Rights for Men or writing about Gender Biased Laws is often looked upon as controversial, as many 'perceive' it Anti-Women. Due to this grey area - where we demand Equality in the true sense for all genders - most brands distance themselves from advertising on a portal like ours.
We, therefore, look forward to your support as donors who understand our work and are willing to partner in this endeavour to spread this cause. Do support our work to counter one sided gender biased narratives in the media.
To make an instant donation, click on the "Donate Now" button above. For information regarding donation via Bank Transfer, click here.