A unique situation from Uttar Pradesh is reported where all 50 personnel of Muzaffarnagar Mahila Thana (Women’s Police Station), including the SHO were attached to the Reserve Police Lines till further orders. The reason for the same is because a woman sub-inspector (SI) attempted suicide by consuming poison following a dispute with the SHO.
Taking a serious note of a suicide attempt by a woman sub-inspector over harassment and torture by her immediate bosses, Senior Superintendent of Police of Muzaffarnagar, Abhishek Yadav, has also ordered a probe into the matter and asked SP (City) Satpal Antil to investigate whether the charges levelled by the sub-inspector were true. If the charges are verified, necessary legal as well as departmental proceedings will by initiated against the accused cops.
- As per reports, the SSP had been getting complaints of corruption at Mahila police station and had asked local officers to look into the charges, which were confirmed
- But before Yadav could take any action, woman sub-inspector Seema Yadav consumed poison at her official residence on Civil Lines police station campus on the evening of August 13
- Seema Yadav, who was posted at Mahila police station, was rushed to district hospital and after her condition deteriorated, she was shifted to medical college hospital in Meerut
- Though the immediate reason for her step could not be ascertained, sources said that her brother had alleged that the station house officer (SHO) of Mahila police station and some other officers were coercing her into doing unlawful activities and on her refusal, they had threatened her with dire consequences
- Taking a serious note of the charges, the SSP shunted out SHO of Mahila police station along with all 50 cops posted there and ordered a threadbare probe
Later, talking to the media, Muzaffarnagar Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP), Abhishek Yadav confirmed that he had been receiving several complaints of corruption in prevailing at Mahila Thana for the last couple of months. In some of the cases, even probe was also ordered by the SSP and it was still in progress in another issue of bribery. The SSP said,
The probe is being done by SP city. The primary reason for suspension of Mahila thana is basically corruption.
As per sources, a few months ago the mahila thana personnel had taken a bribe of Rs 2.5 lakh. The money became a reason of bad blood among the staff. After complaint by the victim, SSP ordered an investigation into the matter.
ALSO READ –