A woman in Amritsar, Punjab has been arrested on charges of killing her paramour’s wife and child.
- A woman named Kamlesh Rani was having an illicit affair with an Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITPB) Jawan, Dev Anand Roy
- While Roy was Kamlesh’s tenant and currently posted in Patiala, Kamlesh was married to Ram Tirath and had three sons
- It was Kamlesh’ second marriage with Ram, a rickshaw puller
- Once Kamlesh had gone to ITBP office for some work and had taken Dev Anand’s contact number
- Since then, Dev had been living with Kamlesh
- Tirath was not opposing his wife, as she had been taking money from Dev
- However, when Suman, wife of the jawan started objecting to this relationship, Kamlesh got irritated
- On Tuesday night, Kamlesh Rani entered Suman’s room and killed her with the sharp-edged weapon
- When Suman’s seven-year-old daughter Kriya, who was sleeping nearby, noticed and cried for help, Kamlesh silenced her as well
- The accused woman then took a rickshaw to carry the bodies before throwing them in a pond near New Preet Nagar area in the city
- She later went to the railway station and called her husband who informed the police
- Ram told the police that his wife wanted to escape with him and their three sons and had asked him to accompany her
- On Tuesday, the police took her near the pond and extricated the bodies
Additional deputy commissioner of police (ADCP-City 2), Harpal Singh, said,
Dev Anand has been booked in the case. He was absconding since Tuesday. We traced his location from the mobile phone and he was arrested from near Golden Gate in Amritsar.
During the interrogation, Anand told us that he had been living as a tenant at Kamlesh’s house for last four years. Around four months ago, Suman was ill and he brought her to the house as well. When Suman came to know about the illicit relation, she raised her voice against it. Anand confessed that he had instructed Kamlesh to kill his wife.
On Tuesday, police had also arrested Kamlesh’s husband Ram Tirath for helping her in disposing of Suman’s body.
Crimes by women to eliminate men and women for their selfish desires is not new. In another unique case from Chennai in July this year, two women got together to eliminate one of their husbands so that the two of them could live peacefully with the second husband.