What is Section 498A?
While the law was made to protect wives from Dowry harassment, the misuse of the same has also become extremely rampant.
A 24-year-old man committed suicide by consuming poison in Dwarka, Delhi last week. The man is said to have taken this extreme step allegedly because he was being harassed by his wife and her parents, the police said.
- A senior police officer said that the deceased hailed from Haryana and lived in Dwarka North
- His father alleged that the deceased’s wife and her parents had been threatening to implicate his son on charges of harassment and under SC/ST Act if he did not give them ₹15 lakh as settlement
- His in-laws had also allegedly said that they would slap dowry charge against him in case of non-payment
- On July 25, the deceased called his friend in the evening and told him that he had consumed poison
- He was rushed to the hospital but succumbed on the morning of July 26
- The police have registered a case under Section 306 (abetment to suicide) and 34 (common intention) of the Indian Penal Code and begun probe
As Narrated by Boy’s Family
The deceased’s father, in his complaint told the police, that his son had met his daughter-in-law in 2016 and the two fell in love. The woman’s parents were allegedly against the relationship and did not want them to get married, but the couple tied the knot in 2018 in a temple. He also said,
Her [deceased’s wife] parents did not stop interfering in the couple’s life and submitted several complaints in Bindapur and Mohan Garden police stations against my son [deceased]. Tired of the situation, even my daughter-in-law submitted a complaint with the police in 2018. But she gradually sided with her parents and went to stay with them.
On July 25, the father added, his son called a friend and asked him to lend his bike. In the evening, he called the friend again and told him that he had consumed poison and asked him to come and collect his bike from a certain location in Dwarka.
The police confirmed,
- The friend then took him to a hospital from where he was referred to another. He, however, died during treatment.
- The police said that a case was registered on Tuesday and the claims made by the deceased’s father are being probed.
(Courtesy: Deepika Bhardwaj)
Please Contact Below Numbers for Assistance on harassment from wife and her family:
- All India: 9278 978 978
- Delhi-NCR: 99116 66498
- 0842 4026 498
- 0842 4028 498
- Delhi 9811074077 / 9810034145
- Karnataka 9900954101
- Tamil Nadu 97433742171
- Haryana 9802255577
- Maharashtra 9820226725
- UP 9690023387
- 8882 498 498
ALSO READ –
Join our Facebook Group or follow us on social media by clicking on the icons below
Blogging about Equal Rights for Men or writing about Gender Biased Laws is often looked upon as controversial, as many 'perceive' it Anti-Women. Due to this grey area - where we demand Equality in the true sense for all genders - most brands distance themselves from advertising on a portal like ours.
We, therefore, look forward to your support as donors who understand our work and are willing to partner in this endeavour to spread this cause. Do support our work to counter one sided gender biased narratives in the media.
To make an instant donation, click on the "Donate Now" button above. For information regarding donation via Bank Transfer, click here.