Just a day after the news surfaced that all four accused in the Hyderabad vet rape and murder case have been shot down in a police encounter, a Kerala man who had been acquitted by the court in the Walayar sisters’ death case, was on Saturday attacked and left on the road.
- C Madhu, one of the accused in the Walayar rape and death case was allegedly thrashed by a group of people on Saturday morning within the Walayar station limits in Palakkad district of Kerala
- In January 2017, a 13-year-old girl was found hanging inside her dilapidated house in Walayar region of Palakkad
- The girl was allegedly sexually abused by a few people over a period of time
- Following the death, her nine-year-old younger sister testified that she saw two men running out of the house on the day she was found dead
- Two months later, the younger sister was also found dead in similar manner in the same spot
- The autopsy report revealed she was subjected to sexual abuse
- The incident created a lot of uproar in the public domain, forcing the local police to act
- Three men, who had been regular visitors of the victims’ family, were arrested by the police in connection with the case
- A local court had acquitted all the accused in the case but the state Government had filed an appeal against the acquittal in the Kerala High Court
- The accused in the said rape case sustained injuries in the attack and has been admitted at a government hospital in Palakkad
- According to police an altercation between the accused and a group of 4-5 men led to the incident
- Three of the attackers have been taken into custody
- Police team will be reaching the hospital to record the statement of the accused who got injured in the attack
We got information that the man was lying on the road after being thrashed by someone at around 11.30 am on Saturday. The officers are presently taking further statements about the incident from him.
This pattern of mob justice is extremely worrying. According to case details, the accused in the rape and murder case were picked up after public pressure. The man was acquitted due to lack of evidence and after due process of judiciary.