Dowry is a social menace. However, this will not stop until the girls’ family stand up and say NO from the very beginning of any demand. Recently a young woman named Vismaya, an Ayurveda medical student, was found dead at her husband’s apartment after she had complained of dowry harassment in the Kollam district.
While Kerala Governor Arif Mohammed Khan later visited her home, he has now proposed that all students will sign an anti-dowry bond before enrolling into college, similar to that of anti-ragging bond that universities make students sign. According to Governor Khan, this is his effort to prevent horror of women who go through in the name of dowry harassment.
What Did Governor Propose?
Governor Khan conducted a fast on July 14 to raise public awareness about this social evil and stop crimes against women, days after a string of dowry deaths rocked Kerala and sparked a passionate debate about the issue. Many creative proposals were made at the session, according to the Governor, who is also the chancellor of several universities in the state. Khan quoted,
University degrees cannot become a license to seek dowry.
What is Anti-Dowry Bond?
The governor had made an emotional appeal to women to say no to dowry during the process of marriage, and he further stated his willingness to participate in any “organised” voluntary action to spread awareness to curb the same.
The Governor also stated that in the coming months, he will meet with vice-chancellors of other universities in the state capital, and that a final decision on the introduction of such a bond will be made after that. He called dowry evil and suggested that societal awareness should be created about it, encouraging NGOs or volunteers to form a specialised movement against it.
Governor Khan also added that Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan was delighted about the concept of establishing an anti-dowry bond in universities for students – an idea he proposed to abolish dowry.
He also quoted,
When a student seeks admission, the individual will have to sign an anti-dowry bond that they will not accept or give dowry. Dowry is a punishable crime. So universities will be asking (students) to sign a bond that we shall uphold the law.
- University degrees are not a license to seek dowry is 100% correct statement
- Dowry menace will end, the day parents of girls believe in making their daughters truly atmanirbhar or independent, and not look out for boys with much higher educational and financial background – in the name of security for their daughters
- While there is no sympathy for Men and their families who indulge in this criminal act, giving dowry is equally a crime
- Whenever dowry deaths take place, husband and his families are arrested but there is no implication on the family of bride who encouraged the same from Day 1
- We shall avoid mentioning the rampant misuse of this Section 498A IPC here, however, Governor Khan must also focus on the NCRB Suicide Report 2018 for the state of Kerala which clearly states death rate of Men thrice than Women due to marital problems (read full article below)
- Even one case of dowry death should surely call for strictest action against the perpetrator, however, every state government has failed to acknowledge plight of Men, even if India’s overall suicide numbers are 98,000 for Men – 42,000 for Women in 2019 where top reason remained family problems (read NCRB report below)
ALSO READ – Kerala (NCRB 2018) | Suicide Rate In Men Nearly Thrice Than Women Due To Marital Problems
RELATED ARTICLES –
READ ORDER | Kerala High Court Allows 498A Accused Husband To Return To His Country Of Work While Out On Bail
ALSO WATCH – REVERSE DOWRY MENACE
#Bhopal | Working Woman Files Maintenance Case Against Ailing Husband Suffering From Cancer
Join our Facebook Group or follow us on social media by clicking on the icons below