Unilateral gender specific laws such as section 498A and domestic violence act 2005 (DV Act) among others were added to the Indian constitution in the years 1983 and 2005, respectively, to curb the menace of cruelty to married women by their husband and his relatives. Although Article 14 of the Indian constitution clearly mentions equality for all before the law and avoids any discrimination on the grounds of religion, race, caste, sex or place of birth. These unilateral gender biased laws were formed in complete violation of this article just to provide justice to a specific gender while completely neglecting the human/ fundamental rights of other gender from the misuse of these biased laws.
Since then with the modernisation of Indian society and the invasion of western ideologies of feminism, women empowerment amid gender equality and worldwide promotion of disrespect for men, these gender biased laws among others have turned out as a deadly weapon in the hands of Indian women who often misuse them on a large scale to blackmail, harass, and torture their husband and his family members. In fact, if the laws were constituted as per the basic essence of the Indian constitution particularly in a gender neutral fashion, along with an act to strictly punish the false accuser against the misuse of such laws, the legal terrorism that the Indian men and their family members suffer today would have been avoided to a large extent.
Consequently, since past decade there is an overwhelming increase in the number of Indian grooms suicide accounting for nearly double the number of male suicides than females. It is estimated that one Indian man commit suicide in every four-minutes. These men come from nearly all status of Indian society which includes IT professionals, soldiers, doctors, lawyers, IPS officers etc. (author will cover this issue in a separate article).
ALSO READ –
Gradually the situation is getting worst, as there is no law and no system to listen to the sufferings of these Indian men in their own country. Several Indian men have now started posting live videos of their suicide on social media platforms accusing their wife and her family members of legal terrorism. Besides many Indian men are also being burned alive in the country by their wives and their family members. In most cases these incidents of crime on men by women and their family members are not covered by English newspapers or TV media while they only find place in local Indian language newspapers most probably due to the biased media houses amid political pressure for wild propagation of women empowerment agenda in the country. This is the main reason why such heinous crimes by Indian women do not catch the eye of internet browser sitting elsewhere in the world.
In recent years, undoubtedly, incidences of heinous crimes by Indian women has increased manifold. The main reason behind this is the formation of all laws in the favour of one gender while completely neglecting the other. In addition, besides women centric gender biased laws in the country, the judicial system is too liberal for women in India. This article is an initiative to put forward the list of some of the recent incidences of groom burning by wives and their family members that took place in different parts of India. As most of the heinous crimes by women are not reported in English newspapers therefore this article will also cover the news from other Indian language newspapers with proper references. Readers of this post are most welcome to put forward other such incidences of groom burning which are not covered in the list given below.
ALSO READ –
It is high time that all the Laws in India be made Gender Neutral along with Strict Punishment for False Accuser. As a human right, Man too deserve to be protected against the violence of woman and her family members.
Some Incidences of Groom Burning in India:
- Wife along with her daughter burned her husband alive by putting gasoline over him. Incident took place in Bikaner, Rajasthan, India. Dated: May 8, 2020. Publication Language: Hindi and English.
- Wife sets fire on her sleeping husband by putting flammable material. Incident took place in Phillaur, Jalandhar, Punjab, India. Dated: May 16, 2020. Publication Language: Hindi.
- Mother-in law put gasoline while wife set the fire with a lighter on husband after a dispute. Man died with 70% burn. Incident took place in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India. Dated: June 3, 2020. Publication Language: Hindi.
- Daughter-in Law set her mother-in law on fire by sprinkling gasoline while she was sleeping. Incident took place in Gurdaspur, Punjab, India. Dated: Jun 24, 2020. Publication Language: Hindi.
- Man burned himself alive after dispute with wife. Incident took place in Firozabad, Uttar Pradesh, India. Dated: May 23, 2020. Publication Language: Hindi.
- Man was burned alive in front of his wife and finally died in in-laws home. Incident took place in West Champaran, Bihar, India. Dated: Apr 27, 2020. Publication Language: Hindi.
- 62-year-old woman scalds husband with boiling water after a fight over nap. Incident took place in Borivali West, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. Dated: May 14, 2020.
- Women burned alive her mother-in law and sister-in law over a domestic dispute. Sister-in law died on the spot due to severe burns while mother-in law was admitted to the hospital. Incident took place in Bhagalpur, Bihar, India. Dated: May 17, 2020. Publication Language: Hindi.
- Women sets husband on fire over Rs. 1000. Incident took place in Bangaluru, Karnataka, India. Dated: MAR 19, 2020.
- Women burns husband to death. Incident took place in Fazilka, Punjab, India. Dated: May 26, 2020.
- Man was burned alive by the family members of his wife by putting gasoline over him when the man went to take back her wife from her home. Man was severely burned. Incident took place in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India. Dated: Jan 11, 2020. Publication Language: Hindi.
- Husband records video of wife slapping, beating, poking pins and burning him with cigarette. According to the husband, the Bidhan Nagar police station refused to lodge an FIR saying that the laws are pro-women. Incident took place in Kolkata, West Bengal, India. Dated: June 26, 2020. Publication Language: Bengali and
- Girl threw acid on her lover. Boy was reported to be 20% burned. Incident took place in Unnao, Uttar Pradesh, India. Dated: Jan 29, 2020.
- When husband caught his wife red handed with her lover then wife burned the husband with the help of her lover. Husband was severely burned and now fighting for life. Villagers saved the husband’s life. Incident took place in East Champaran, Bihar, India. Dated: Apr 01, 2020. Publication Language: Hindi.
- Tata motors security personal burned to death after dispute with wife. Incident took place in Parsudih, Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India. Dated: Apr 07, 2020. Publication Language: Hindi.
- After beating the groom severely, wife and her family members burned the groom alive by spraying gasoline on him. Man was 40% burned. Incident took place in Kaithal, Haryana, India. Dated: Nov 20, 2019.  Publication Language: Hindi.
- When man went to take his wife back from her home, he was burned alive by wife and her family members by putting kerosene on him. Man died in the hospital due to severe burns. Incident took place in Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, India. Dated: Oct 05, 2019. [30, 31] Publication Language: Hindi, English.
- Man was burned alive by wife and her family members when he went to take his wife from her home. It was reported that they put him on fire by spraying kerosene on him. Man was 50% burned. Incident took place in Dera Bassi, Chandigarh, India. Dated: Nov 01, 2019. Publication Language: Hindi.
- In a one sided love, girl threw acid on boy. Boy was severely burned. Incident took place in Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh, India. Dated: Oct 25, 2019. Publication Language: Hindi.
- Indian women burned her mother-in-law by spraying kerosene on her over dispute. Mother-in-Law was 80% burned. Incident took place in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India. Dated: Dec 31, 2019. Publication Language: Hindi.
- 15-year-old daughter murdered her father with the help of her lover with a sharp knife and then burned his body in the bathroom with 2 liter gasoline. Incident took place in Bengaluru, Karnataka, India. Dated: Aug 21, 2019. Publication Language: Hindi.
- Wife and her friend allegedly tied up man, poured hot oil on him, hit him with a hammer, and gave electric shocks. Incident took place in Manikpur, Vasai-Virar, Maharashtra, India. Dated: Aug 15, 2019.
- Women sets husband on fire after spat. Incident took place in Kandamangalam, Viluppuram, Tamil Nadu. Dated: Dec 12, 2019.
- Women burned her husband alive while he was sleeping. Incident took place in Hoogly, West Bengal, India. Dated: July 23, 2019. Publication Language: Hindi.
- Women allegedly killed her husband by setting him on fire because of his dark complexion. Incident took place in Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh, India. Dated: Apr 17, 2019.
- Women set her mother-in law on fire by sprinkling kerosene over her. Incident took place in Itarsi, Madhya Pradesh, India. Dated: Dec 28, 2018. Publication Language: Hindi.
- Women allegedly poured kerosene on her husband and set him afire after argument over talking on phone. Incident took place in Balrampur, Uttar Pradesh, India. Dated: Feb 13, 2018.
- Women throws acid on 75-years old mother-in-law. Incident took place in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India. Dated: Jun 30, 2018.
- Woman allegedly pouring hot oil on her husband. Incident took place in Pune, Maharashtra, India. Dated: July 18, 2017.
- Women murdered her husband and then tried to burn his dead body secretly. Incident took place in Giridih, Jharkhand, India. Dated: Mar 14, 2017. Publication Language: Hindi.
- Women burned her 1.25 years old son alive with the help of her lover. The kid died in the hospital due to severe burn. Incident took place in Amritsar, Punjab, India. Dated: May 02, 2016. Publication Language: Hindi
- Indian women allegedly set fire to her in-laws’ house, leaving her husband and his six other family members dead in a village at Kumarapuram, Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India. Dated: May 21, 2015.
ALSO READ –
- https://www.mondaq.com/india/crime/743068/section-498a-of-ipc-a-weapon-or-a-shield-supreme-court-of india
About The Author
Dr Ashutosh Agarwal, earned his doctorate from NTU, Singapore and is also an alumnus of IIT-Roorkee, India. Dr Agarwal is a researcher by profession and has published several research articles in journals of international repute.
His interest lie in men’s rights issues and gender equality. He believes that true gender equality can only be achieved via gender neutral laws and equal responsibility.
ALSO READ –