The Bombay High Court on Tuesday imposed a fine of Rs 25,000 on a woman for filing a false rape complaint against her boyfriend. The court struck down the case after she filed a petition saying she did not wish to pursue the matter further.
A division bench of Justices RD Dhanuka and VG Bisht directed the woman to pay a sum of Rs 25,000 to the Maharashtra Police Welfare Fund within four weeks. The bench said,
If the fine is not paid, then its order quashing the FIR against the man shall stand vacated.
According to PTI, the woman had registered an FIR against her boyfriend in Palghar district on March 16, alleging that he had “drugged and raped her”. However, last month, the complainant approached Bombay high court seeking to quash the case, accusing her family of pressurising her to file false FIR.
In her plea, the woman claimed that she was in a relationship with the man, but when her family found out she concocted a false story that he had “raped her”.
ALSO READ –
Opposing the plea, additional public prosecutor Aruna Kamat Pai said the police were investigating the case and will file a charge sheet. If the court was inclined to quash the FIR, then a heavy fine should be imposed on the woman, she said.
The court accepted this argument and said,
In our view, the case of the petitioner cannot be accepted simpliciter that the complaint was filed by her due to pressure from her family members.
Adding further, the court directed the woman to compensate for the false case. The bench added,
However, since the petitioner does not want to pursue the complaint, we are inclined to quash the FIR but on the condition that the petitioner pays Rs 25,000 to the Maharashtra Police Welfare Fund within four weeks.
- Monetary compensation merely seems like a bribe or a price one pays to be free from accusations and charges
- Just like a woman in an alleged domestic abuse case feels victorious after settling with money, this precedent must not be applied to false rape cases
- One must also note, if the woman in this case fails to pay the compensation within four weeks, FIR against the man won’t be quashed
- Firstly, in the above matter, the compensation is not even directed towards the man
- Secondly, who compensates for his respect and dignity lost in society, where people have already labelled him as a rapist?
- In most cases, men languish behind bars for months and years after which courts grant them bail, because ‘prima facie’ they find the rape allegations to be false
- In almost every such case, men lose their jobs and careers go for a toss, since no organisation wants to associate with an alleged rapist
- Its high time courts convict every single false accuser and imprison them, so that they do not think they can get away next time, by just paying up a petty sum
- Also, in every such case, name and identity of the false accuser women must be exposed since they are no longer alleged ‘victims’ of such a heinous crime