Dowry Harassment By A Dead Man? Shocked? We are not! Because for years now, women have been misusing the Dowry Harassment Act in every possible way to either a) teach a lesson to the husband and his family or; b) even extort money by threatening false cases. Importance of Women’s Equality has a whole new meaning in New India.
- Feroz, the son of Sirajuddin, was married on May 7, 2018, to Sufia Begum, daughter of Shakeel Ahmed, a resident of Harraipur village in Uttar Pradesh
- The wife, Sufia, registered a case against her husband and his family alleging dowry harassment at the Kokhraj police station area
- The names of the accused included – Feroz (husband), mother-in-law Ayesha Begum, Jeth Bickan alias Afroz and father-in-law Sirajuddin
- Sufia Begum alleged that these people were harassing her and demanding a dowry of Rs 5 Lakhs
- She further alleged that when the dowry demands were not met, she was beaten up and thrown out of the house
- The CJM court sought a report from the Kokhraj police station regarding the incident and the police sent a report related to the matter
- After receiving the report, the court ordered police to register a case against all the accused related to the incident for dowry harassment, assault and threatening to kill
- Following the directions from the court, on November 15, the Kokhraj police station registered the case against all the four accused
- After registering the case, when the police reached the village for action, they came to know that Sirajuddin (father-in-law) had died 11 years earlier
- His wife Ayesha Begum, another accused named by Sufia, said that her husband Sirajuddin died in 2008
- She questioned how could he torture the daughter-in-law for dowry who got married to their son in 2018?
- Not only this, Ayesha also showed her husband’s death certificate to the police, which clearly showed the date of her husband’s death on December 12, 2008
- It is alleged that daughter-in-law Sufia Begum did not want to live in her in-laws
- Feroz even wanted to take Sufia with him to Bangalore, however, the same was not acceptable to her
- After going back to her maternal home, she had also threatened Feroz and his family to implicate them in a false case if they did not pay her Rs 6 lakh
Where are Anti-Dowry Champions Now? What is the action for Threatening #ReverseDowry?
ALSO READ –