A shocking case of harassment of a male student by female teacher-principal at a school in Punjab has come to light. Unhappy over repeated beatings with belts and stripping of trousers by these women, the class 11 student Dhananjay Tiwari (17) committed suicide by hanging himself in the early hours of Friday.
- Dhananjay’s family hails from Gonda district of Uttar Pradesh
- Dhananjay’s father Brijram Tiwari (40) told that his son used to study in a private school earlier and scored 93% marks in 10th standard
- He then enrolled in SGD Senior Secondary School at Dhondari for his Grade 11
- As alleged by the father, teacher Poonam used to beat him with a belt over his hairstyle and short trousers
- Poonam also called Dhananjay’s mother to school and beat him up in front of her
- When the mother protested, she was pushed and thrown out
- Brijram further said that after this incident, they also bought new pants from the school itself, but that too turned out to be small
- Dhananjay’s ordeal didn’t stop
- On Wednesday, the same teacher again tied his hands and beat him up and took him to principal Saroj Sharma and director Prabhudutt (Dutt is Sharma’s husband)
- The principal and director took off his trousers and beat him again in front of everyone
- Poor young boy could not tolerate this and on Thursday, he decided not go to school and sat without eating and drinking
- Late at night, he told his mother that he would go upstairs to study and come down after studying
- When he did not come down, the mother went to the terrace at around 4am and found the boy hanging from a noose at his residence in Daba area
- Police officials are looking into the CCTV camera footage
- Police has registered an FIR against the teacher, principal and the director of SGD Grammar Senior Secondary School on the complaint of father
- The autopsy and cremation were done on Saturday (today)
Inspector Pavittar Singh, SHO Daba police station, said,
FIR against Poonam, Sharma and Dutt has been registered under the Sections 306 (abetment to suicide) and 34 (act done by several persons with common intention) of IPC at Daba police station. All accused are absconding. We are checking CCTV cameras installed at school and conducting raids to arrest them.
The incident left Chief Minister Capt Amarinder Singh “anguished”, prompting him to order a probe into the alleged suicide by the 17-year-old. He tweeted:
Deeply anguished to hear of a class 11 student committing suicide after facing harassment by teachers at school. Have directed Ludhiana deputy commissioner to personally look into the matter and report to me.
My thoughts are with the family in this time of grief.
Deeply anguished to hear of a Class 11 student committing suicide after facing harassment by teachers at school. Have directed DC Ludhiana to personally look into the matter and report to me. My thoughts are with the family in this time of grief.
— Capt.Amarinder Singh (@capt_amarinder) November 30, 2019