Some stories are gruesome, and shocking is a very tender word to be used for such cases. A woman from Karnataka was finally convicted and sentenced by a city court for bobbitising (chopping the private part) of her former lover after inviting him to her clinic in Koramangala, in Bengaluru.
- The incident took place on November 29, 2008, in Koramangala police station limits
- The accused, Dr Sayeeda Ameena Nahim, now 42-years of age, had invited the victim to her clinic and offered him soft drinks laced with sedatives
- The victim Mir Arshad Ali, was also a doctor, a male physician from Mysuru
- After he lost consciousness, she bobbitised him using a surgical blade
- When he regained consciousness, he was bleeding profusely, and pleaded her to shift him to hospital
- While she shifted him to a private hospital in Tilaknagar, she refused to return the severed part, which she had already thrown into a drain
Motive Behind This Horrendous Act
- Sayeeda, a resident of BTM Layout, was practising at Miswak Dental Clinic in Koramangala, and the victim in Mysuru
- The accused and victim were residing in the same locality in Mysuru and were at one time in love with each other
- It is alleged that Sayeeda had herself asked the victim to marry another woman, as her father had not agreed to their marriage as they belong to different castes, and she suffered from cancer
- He had got married six months prior to the incident
- Sayeeda had invited him to her clinic on the pretext of discussing her cancer when she committed the offence
- Unhappy with the victim marrying another woman, this was Sayeeda’s way of seeking her revenge
- Her intention was that he should not have conjugal relations with his wife
Trial & Verdict
- With charges being proved after a 11-year trial, Sessions Judge Vidyadhar Shirahatti on December 11, 2019, sentenced Dr Sayeeda to undergo rigorous imprisonment for 10 years and imposed a fine of Rs 15,000
- After hearing arguments, the judge said the accused did not intend to murder the victim, but did have knowledge of the consequences of amputating the penis, as she was a dentist
- During investigations, officials had recovered the victim’s clothes and blood-stained surgical blade from the house of the accused, but not the severed part of the body
- However, the court considered the medical evidence
- The judge also directed Sayeeda to pay compensation of Rs 2 lakh to the victim, who lost his marital life and suffered mental agony
- If the accused did not pay up, the same has been ordered to be recovered from the accused or from her property
The judge noted:
Prosecution has clearly proved that the accused had knowledge as well as intention to commit murder. Hence, the accused is liable to be convicted, since evidence placed by the prosecution disclosed that the accused had committed the heinous crime and he (victim) made to become futile, by chopping his penis. As a result, he has lost his marital life.
The judge has also given liberty to the victim to approach the appropriate authority, seeking compensation under the Victim Compensation Scheme formed by the state government.
Sayeeda pleaded innocence and requested a lenient view, saying she has a 7-year-old daughter, and there was no one to take care of her. But the prosecution pressed for maximum punishment, saying she committed the offence despite knowing the consequences.
We repeat, #CrimeHasNoGender, however, if this was a reverse case where a man would have behaved in the manner as Sayeeda did, this story would have been the talking point of all leading channels and newspapers. Such is the hypocrisy of our society, where most, including Men laugh and mock upon other men who undergo such physical and mental violence.
ALSO READ –
Follow www.mensdayout.com on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
Join our Facebook Group or follow us on social media by clicking on the icons below
Blogging about Equal Rights for Men or writing about Gender Biased Laws is often looked upon as controversial, as many 'perceive' it Anti-Women. Due to this grey area - where we demand Equality in the true sense for all genders - most brands distance themselves from advertising on a portal like ours.
We, therefore, look forward to your support as donors who understand our work and are willing to partner in this endeavour to spread this cause. Do support our work to counter one sided gender biased narratives in the media.
To make an instant donation, click on the "Donate Now" button above. For information regarding donation via Bank Transfer, click here.