Burning daughter-in-law was one sided reality in the 20th Century and it may be continuing even today. However, daughter-in-laws burning husband’s parents hardly make it to the mainstream news. And if they ever did, many social workers hail it as women empowerment, where “women” only means daughter-in-law unfortunately.
- An elderly woman, living in Rajabagh colony in Indore, Madhya Pradesh has suffered 80 percent burns due to being burnt in her own home
- She has accused her younger daughter-in-law of setting her on fire
- The 62-year-old mother-in-law who sustained the horrific incident, informed local police that there was a dispute between her and her younger son’s wife about a new washing machine that came to the house three days ago
- Accused Deepali Pandey had been apparently threatening the senior citizen woman since then
- As alleged by victim Premabai, she was at home with the alleged accused at 08am on December 30
- On the day of the incident, the victim had gone to the bathroom for heating water, which is when her daughter-in-law used the opportunity to pour kerosene on her
- Premabai has also accused Deepali of then lighting match stick to set her on fire
- As soon as the fire was lit, mother-in-law called out to her elder son Gopal and his wife who were living on the first floor
- However, as soon as they both landed up in her home to rescue her, Deepali started pouring water on her mother-in-law
- The victim was immediately rushed to the hospital and late in the evening, she recorded her statement with the police
- At present, the officials have registered a case against Deepali and investigation has begun
- The younger daughter-in-law on the other hand has denied the entire episode
When we talk about domestic violence, the opinion and conclusions cannot be one sided. There will always exist another side to the story, where it is not only the daughter-in-laws being harassed or burnt to death by their husband’s families.
Crime Has No Gender and whoever is the culprit must be punished as per the law.
ALSO READ –