Earlier in July, twelve Israelis had been detained in Cyprus, after a 19-year-old British woman alleged she had been gang raped in the resort town of Ayia Napa.
In a big relief today, all teenagers who were accused of gang-raping the woman have been released this afternoon, after their accuser backtracked on her original story. The boys are seen hugging each other and their families.
Unlike in India, in a dramatic development, the Cyprus police has also arrested the accuser woman for making false allegations about the men.
How the Plot Unfolded?
- The British National (unnamed) had alleged that 12 Israelis had raped her in a hotel room, which led to their arrest on July 18
- The woman had claimed she agreed to indulge in sex with one of the men but was held down by others and raped in the early hours of the morning
- While three of the men admitted having sex with the British woman, however, informed the police officials that it was consensual
- All others had denied the charges
- Doubts about her story began after one of the teens she identified as taking part in the gang rape was able to prove he was in bed with his girlfriend who had taken a selfie
- Police sources said she had retracted her statement after being further questioned by detectives over the weekend following the examination of further DNA results
- Five of the twelve were released without charge on Thursday when there was no DNA evidence to link them to the alleged sex attack at the Pambos Napa hotel in Ayia Napa
- Remaining seven have been released today after the woman ‘changed her story’
- The accuser, now in custody, is expected to appear in court on Monday
A police spokesman in Nicosia said,
A 19 year old woman has been arrested on suspicion of making false allegations
Yaniv Habari, a lawyer for some of the now freed men, told the media,
The woman has changed her story. Those in custody have been released and allowed to leave. The parents of the remaining seven men were also informed and are obviously very happy and they want to get their children back as soon as possible.
Habari also said the accuser regretted what she said and now she’s being interrogated, and most likely she will be referred to court tomorrow.
He even added,
My clients will take civil action against their accuser.
WATCH VIDEO (JULY 26)
ALSO READ –