Yet another gender appeasement move in the name of empowerment has been announced by Bihar government. Nitish Kumar led state administration has proposed to reserve 33 per cent seats to girls in medical and engineering colleges.
The government has been planning to bring two new Bills:
- Bihar Engineering Universities Bill
- Bihar Medical Education Bill
…in the next Assembly session to give formal shape to the proposal.
Current Seat Status
The state currently has the following number of seats:
- 2035 engineering
- 1330 medical and BDS
…in the 11 medical and 38 engineering colleges it runs. As reported by The Indian Express, a government official said while there are 30 per cent girls in government medical colleges, their representation in engineering colleges is only about 15 per cent.
In a review meeting last week, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said,
Let us reserve one-third seats in medical and engineering colleges [for girls]. This will increase the number of girls in technical education. It will be a unique thing. Engineering colleges are being opened in every district and medical colleges have been also opened in some districts. The whole idea is to ensure that Bihar students do not have to go out of the state for technical education.
A proposal to set up exclusive engineering and medical universities in the state was also discussed during the meet. The CM said this would help in better management of medical and engineering colleges. The state government has proposed to set up four new universities.
- We are never against equal opportunities to all genders
- However, how does reservation for girls in a college university help beside satisfying the ultimate aim of women appeasement?
- Admissions must be on merit, otherwise it defeats the purpose of equal opportunities at placements
- What is the message given to boys who toil equally hard, but will now miss out on admission due to gender based admission process?
- What is the message given to girls that you will keep getting privileges in the name of gender, be it for admission, placement, promotions – all in the name of equality!
- We are only heading towards creating another unequal society where girls enjoy opportunities and gender biased laws in their favour, while boys must go through the grind with no support whatsoever
- Boys are being raised with all sorts of pressures – with an aim pushing them to become the ultimate provider for a home
ALSO READ –