A 33-year-old woman from Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, has filed a case of rape against her lover. In her complaint, the woman alleged that she had been abused for 11-years on pretext of marriage. According to the complainant, she only learnt recently, that her partner was already married, which prompted her to file rape charges against the man.
The duo had met in Orchha, Madhya Pradesh, some time ago, where the woman allegedly came to know that the man was already married. Soon after, the lady filed a case in Niwari, where the police registered zero FIR and transferred the case diary.
TI Alok Srivastava of Ashoka Garden police station said that the 33-year-old complainant is a resident of Ashoka Chola Mandir area and had met one Praveen Pateria in 2009. After being friends for some time, Praveen allegedly took her to a rented room in Ashoka Garden in Bhopal on December, 10, 2009 where he raped her on the pretext of marriage.
11-years-ago when the couple first met, Praveen was pursuing engineering from a private college and as per the complainant, they were going to marry after the man would settle down with a good job. However, according to the woman, Praveen kept coming to Bhopal over the years, met her and ‘raped’ her each time. According to the woman, she started pressurizing Praveen for marriage and called him to Orchha, where they decided to tie the knot at a temple. When the woman reached the place with her uncle, Praveen allegedly did not agree to marry her.
Later, the woman said that she learnt Praveen was already married to someone else and thus she lodged an FIR at the Niwari police station. TI Srivastava informed media, that the statement of the woman had not been recorded yet, however, the complaint had been registered on the basis of case diary. After noting the statement of the complainant, officers would be sent to Niwari to arrest the accused, said Srivastava.
- If the man was taking the woman for a ride by giving her false hopes of marriage while being already married, surely he must face the law
- However, whenever two consenting adults get into a physical relationship voluntarily, should rape charges be pressed on the man, if the same does not end in marriage? Should women consent to physical relationships on “pretext of anything in return”?
- There are millions of cases, where women after years of dating, do not agree to marriage with the same partner – reasons could be lack of compatibility, men not doing well in their career, etc. However, in such a reverse scenarios, we expect the men to be mature and respect “consent” of the woman
- In the above case, the complainant claims to be in a relationship with the accused for eleven long years
- How is it possible that she was totally unaware of where the man lived, did he have an alternate family, if he did not marry her for over a decade, what was the reason for the same, were rape charges pressed upon to settle any score….all these scenarios must be looked at in totality
Author: Nandini Shah is a 3rd year Bachelors of Journalism student and currently working as an intern with MDO.
ALSO READ –
ALSO WATCH –
Women Are Filing False Rape Cases After Live-in
Join our Facebook Group or follow us on social media by clicking on the icons below