While India and the world celebrated the week of love, the city of Bhopal (Madhya Pradesh) witnessed over a dozen couples filing for divorce in the first two weeks of February this year.
Around 50 divorce petitions have been filed in the family court in Bhopal, out of which nearly half the number was seen in the Valentine week itself. A source from the local court told TOI,
In Valentine’s week, nearly 23 divorce petitions reached three family courts in the state capital since the couples wished to part ways.
- Out of total 52 applications received in the month of February, 23 of them were filed between February 7 and 13
- 49 petitions were from wives demanding maintenance from husbands, of which 21 were filed in the week of love
The source from the family court also said,
Divorce cases are on the rise and around 7 to 10 couples come for counselling for divorce each day. While many reconcile in the initial phase, some file divorce petitions later as they do not wish to stay together.
ALSO READ –
Justice Ashutosh Mishra of District Legal Service Aid attributed this increase in number of cases due to awareness being spread amongst women. According to Mishra, women were harassed earlier as well, however, it is only now that they are speaking up against domestic violence and harassment for dowry. He also quoted,
It may not really mean celebrating Valentine’s Day with their spouse, but they are definitely celebrating their self-love and self-respect by asking for freedom from a bad situation.
- There is nothing wrong in couples filing for divorce if the relationship is beyond repair
- However, the right to demand maintenance/alimony from your estranged husband cannot be by default
- On one side, we talk about Empowerment and Equality and on the other hand we want to encourage the same women to literally beg in court for money (in the name of rights)
- Maintenance laws were valid when women were not educated or not capable or allowed to work
- However, can this law be enforced in today’s times as a thumb rule where every fully-abled woman knows how to spend hours on social media, but chooses to sit idle?
ALSO READ –
Court Baffled As Wife Claims To Exhaust Rs 2Cr Alimony in 1.5 Yrs | Demands Rs 5L Monthly Maintenance Again
- Divorce no longer remains a taboo and rightly so, therefore many women choose to take lifelong tax free money and live an alternate life at the cost of blaming and hammering the ex-spouse
- Surely, maintenance to some women cannot be denied, especially where the custody of the child remains with the mother or if she has spent considerable amount of time in her husband’s home and cannot find employment in older age
- However, most cases today pertain to short-lived marriages, some which have not even last for a month and women go to court asking for money and share in property
- And then we have people like Justice Mishra who have already made up their mind how women are the only victims in every divorce case
- If this be the level of understanding from a judge, justice for Men is not just a distinct but an unreal reality
ALSO READ –
Join our Facebook Group or follow us on social media by clicking on the icons below
Blogging about Equal Rights for Men or writing about Gender Biased Laws is often looked upon as controversial, as many 'perceive' it Anti-Women. Due to this grey area - where we demand Equality in the true sense for all genders - most brands distance themselves from advertising on a portal like ours.
We, therefore, look forward to your support as donors who understand our work and are willing to partner in this endeavour to spread this cause. Do support our work to counter one sided gender biased narratives in the media.
To make an instant donation, click on the "Donate Now" button above. For information regarding donation via Bank Transfer, click here.