Newly elected Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Saturday said that the proposed legislation, under which the bride and groom will have to disclose their religion and income in official documents a month before the wedding, aims at curbing the menace of ‘love jihad’ and will encompass all communities, including Hindu Men.
Briefing media persons, the chief minister said,
Hindu boy lying to a Hindu girl is also Jihad. We will bring a law against it.
What is Love Jihad?
This is a term coined to characterise partnerships between Muslim men and Hindu women, although the courts and the Union government do not recognise it. Several activists and legal experts say that such legislation could be used to discriminate against Muslims, infringing on fundamental rights to equality, religious freedom, and life and personal liberty.
However, refuting reference to any particular religion, Sarma has categorically stated that the same will be applied on Men across religions. Himanta Biswa Sarma quoted:
Love jihad doesn’t only mean a Muslim cheating a Hindu. It could happen among Hindus as well. If a Hindu boy uses dubious means to entrap and marry a Hindu girl that is also a form of ‘love jihad’.
The CM further added,
We won’t like to use the term ‘love jihad’, but dubious means or cheating to entrap and marry a girl shouldn’t be done by Hindus too. We will act against such frauds. The law won’t be only against Muslims. No girl or woman should be exploited in that manner.
BJP Poll Promise in October 2020
Assam CM and BJP member Himanta Biswa Sarma had alerted all that if his party reclaimed power in the 2021 Assembly Elections, the state administration would launch a “strict campaign” against love jihad.
He then said,
We will have to start a strict fight against love jihad on Assam’s soil. If BJP comes to power, we will take a decision that if any boy hides his religious identity and comments anything negative on Assamese women, he will face rigorous punishment.
MDO Take –
- Even if this law needs to be brought in, why are women not equally accountable for lying? Does this imply women never lie?
- Even a rough search on the internet (quora), will throw search results how women have lied to Men about their caste, religion, previous marriage, educational qualifications, age, others and got married
- Several alliances that happen through matrimonial portals are subject to real identities hidden as there is no legal process to do any background checks
- What about women misusing this law after marriage?
- Once again this becomes one way traffic, where women could allege Love Jihad on husband, after years of co-habiting together – often to settle score
- We truly hope, such laws without understanding long term implications, do not become another 498A – a law which is repeatedly misused by disgruntled wives
ALSO READ –
MUST WATCH –
Man Conned Through Jeevansathi.com Matrimonial Portal | Woman Absconds After Taking Lakhs Of Rupees
Join our Facebook Group or follow us on social media by clicking on the icons below